Online Application System for Visiting Fellow Program
IHSS Visiting Fellow Program
The Institute of Humanities and Social Sciences (IHSS) was established in 2016 as one of the most vibrant academic platforms at Peking University (PKU) with a mission of developing research cultures and stimulating breakthrough thinking. IHSS supports research in all disciplines of the humanities and social sciences, promotes advanced interdisciplinary research with a consciously cross-disciplinary approach and establishes strong relationships with other key research centers to further intellectual interaction and international collaboration.
The Visiting Fellow Program is IHSS' most prominent program to practice and promote advanced study. With full support from the university, the Institute selects approximately 30 scholars for both Spring and Autumn academic semesters each year, ranging from young researchers to distinguished senior professors. IHSS is an intimate enabling environment and diverse intellectual community for debate and discussion that draws in scholars from across PKU, as well as bringing in an engaged intellectual mix from beyond the campus. IHSS initiates research of world-leading quality and demonstrates the values of humanities and sciences. It is committed to the development of society and civilization for knowledge accumulation and innovation through comparative research on the history of China and the progress of civilizations across the globe.
The Visiting Fellow Program opens in Spring semester (from March to June) and in Autumn semester (from September to December) each academic year. The visiting period is usually 4 months. Since its foundation in 2016, IHSS has welcomed more than 150 visiting fellows from home and abroad to embark on a memorable four-month residential visit.
The duration of the Visiting Fellow Program of 2022 Autumn is from September to December, 2022. IHSS provides a pleasant research environment, solid academic support, as well as thoughtful accommodation services. We create a space where visiting fellows have plenty of time to immerse themselves in thinking, reflecting, and writing on their subject of interest, while enjoying the easy access of interdisciplinary communication with their peer fellows and PKU scholars. IHSS encourages all visiting fellows to initiate book review sessions, workshops, and collaborative courses.
Current Quarantine Policies
According to the regulations of Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control, the current health observation period is 28 days (in total) for inbound travelers from overseas to Beijing.
After arriving in Beijing, all passengers need to undergo 14-day centralized medical quarantine, one week of home isolation (residents) or centralized quarantine (visitors), and one week of health observation. Inbound individuals through other domestic cities have to complete the 21-day quarantine before entering Beijing. And complete the 7-day health observation in Beijing.
We will try our best to assist scholars to plan their visit. However, IHSS is not responsible for any costs incurred during the quarantine period.
Qualified candidates can apply through the online application system. All applications will be reviewed by the Academic Committee of IHSS. IHSS welcomes scholars from humanities and social sciences, as well as interdisciplinary natural sciences.
1. Candidates should have a substantial record of publication and a Ph.D. awarded no later than September, 2021.
2. Candidates should be ready to fully engage with IHSS academic activities and not be absent for reasons unrelated to the academic work at IHSS.
Instructions for Applicants
1. Each academic year, the application system opens twice for interested scholars. The system opens in July and closes on September 1 preceding the year of fellowship for scholars interested in the Program in Spring Semester. As for the Program in Autumn Semester, the application opens from January to the end of February of the same year.
The application period for Autumn Semester 2022 is from January 1 to 23:59, February 28, 2022 (CST).
2. You can fill out the online application by creating an account and following the procedures posted on the online application system. Work at IHSS revolves around six clusters. Please carefully review IHSS clusters before beginning your application (Detailed information about these clusters is on the website: http://www.ihss.old.pku.edu.cn/en/about/index.aspx?nodeid=225)
3. Please follow the instruction for application and keep your contact information current. Please list your representative publications no longer than 3 pages in reverse chronological order. Please also submit up to three samples of published articles or book chapters in PDF format. Please write your research proposal no longer than 2000 words.
4. Applicants will receive an email notification after they successfully submitted the application.
5. Online application will be reviewed by the Executive Committee of IHSS.
6. Applicants will be notified of their application results via email within one month after the application deadlines.
7. Accepted Visiting Fellows will receive email including dates of visiting period and other information. The move-in date for Visiting Fellows is usually around the first week of the Spring or Autumn academic semester of PKU.
8. For accepted Visiting Fellows who cannot visit IHSS in person due to COVID-19, we offer the chance to defer their visiting semester within 2 years from Autumn Semester 2022.
1. IHSS will provide an independent research room equipped with a desktop computer for Visiting Fellows. Fellows will also have access to meeting rooms, seminar rooms, classrooms and other venues, as well as public spaces such as reception rooms and parlors. IHSS academic events are usually held in Building 2 at Jingyuan.
2. IHSS will provide Visiting Fellows with library and information services. With a PKU staff ID card, fellows will also be able to access the library and dine in university canteens.
3. IHSS will create as many opportunities as possible for Visiting Fellows to participate in academic activities. Fellows are also welcomed to join in a number of other informal academic events held by IHSS, including get-togethers, salons so on and so forth.
4. IHSS calculates the amount of stipend for each accepted Visiting Fellow based on policies set by the IHSS and information provided in the fellowship application. IHSS will also provide accommodation allowance for Visiting Fellows, as well as one funded round trip.
5. IHSS provides academic support and administrative services for all Visiting Fellows.
IHSS reserves its right of final explanation of all the on screen information.